Sunday, December 14, 2008

Resources

What makes this enterprise possible at all is the existence of MagCloud. John used this resource to publish his Amy & Pyx comic at super duper teeny tiny cost. He had an invitation to open a publisher's account on the site that he sent to me and that I am reserving for when we decide on a name for the Zine. MagCloud has its pros and its cons, but for now at least the big pro is that it is cheap -- almost-free cheap -- a consideration that overrides all else at the moment.

And, yes, it is a Zine, in the proud tradition of amateur-production limited run 'Zines produced by obsessed fanatics everywhere. (Or at least that was once the case. Is it now? I don't think I've seen an actual 'Zine in years and years!)

Other resources:

Internet access, which I have (for now) at home and (when I'm there) at work. There is also, I understand, net access available at the public library, should it come to that. And it might.

I have Microsoft's Publisher program on my home computer. Assuming that after January I still have a home in which to keep the computer, that means I can produce the Zine entirely myself. I would prefer to use Quark as well as Adobe's full suite with InDesign, Photoshop, and so on, but those programs are priced so far out of my reach it's plain laughable. Publisher is usable. I'll use it! (And, hopefully, should it come to that [so sorry for repeating that but reality is reality], perhaps we can find a kind soul who also has Publisher and will allow me to use same to get at least one issue out!)

Google. As in: gmail, documents, chat, Blogger, calendar, and so on. So many google resources! Free! Thank you, Google, I adore you!

Something at least sort of ready to go: A story I entered in a 1-day writing contest (it didn't win, not even so much as a door prize, po' po' me) can be spiffed up for inclusion in the Zine. Even if I can't polish it to my satisfaction, it can still be published in the Zine as an Object Lesson and/or Ongoing Writing Experiment.

And, of course, our own selves. So far, John and I. With any luck, more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment